As I celebrate the halfway mark of my third pregnancy, I also celebrate a decently marked mama belly. I say decent because, well, the combination of my love for tacos and my knack for creating big babies was quite tough for any remedy to battle. With each pregnancy I’ve used a variety of oils, creams, and butters. And I’ve narrowed it down to my favorite five that truly stood up to the challenge.
Stretch marks are often hereditary. Sometimes you form them far before you ever create a baby bundle, sometimes you earn your stripes through motherhood. But whichever way these marks appear, know that you aren’t alone in the fight to fade them. Or your hesitancy to bare them!
- Tubby Todd Belly Oil – I stumbled across my absolute favorite stretch mark remedy by winning a giveaway on Instagram. Talk about a WIN! This oil absorbs into the skin far quicker than any other body product I’ve used, so I’m not left feeling greasy and slick for too long. The consistency spreads beautifully across my belly and hips. Jojoba, shea, and avocado oils promote skin elasticity and collagen production. And as always, Tubby Todd is absolutely toxin, paraben, and sulfate free through their organic promise! If you think this stuff is good, check out their baby line.
- Bio-Oil – If Marie Claire knows her stuff like I think she does, this oil is Kim Kardashian’s go-to. Bio-Oil covers everything from stretch marks to old scars. The consistency is quite slick, so I love to apply it after a hot shower when my skin is yearning for some moisture. Give it a good circular rub to really set it in the skin and watch it’s magic.
- Mother’s Friend Body Liquid – My sister-in-law, who likes to carry babies even larger than mine, swears by this little blue bottle. They also make a lotion, but nothing compares to this silky liquid remedy. With cottonseed oil, camphor, and menthol, her belly skin stood strong against the pressure of her nine-pound studly babe.
- Palmer’s Tummy Butter – Palmer’s makes an entire line of pregnancy remedies for itchy, stretching skin and solid stretch marks. Plus, Burlington almost always has a few gift sets on the shelves of their baby section. But if I had to choose a favorite, I would definitely go with the tummy butter. It’s much thicker than the oils above, but that’s what I love about it. You get such a good application with just a small dab of product. One jar lasted my entire second pregnancy! It absorbs quickly, but leaves behind the lightest layer to keep your belly feeling hydrated all day long. In fact, they promise 48 hours of relief from rapidly growing skin!
- Burt’s Bees Momma Bee Oil and Butter – I couldn’t pick just one because Burt’s Bees tends to rock everything they do. The oil delivers a lightweight dose of almond oil, while the butter is full of shea butter and Vitamin E. Together, they feel heavenly even during those larger months of carrying. The absorption is a little slower, so when using these I tend to apply the butter in the morning and the oil before bedtime. Hello around-the-clock care!
With so many solid options, I imagine it’s hard for you to land on just one! Team up with your girl squad and give them all a try. But what’s more important than your remedy choice, is your confidence. Stretch marks are incredibly natural. You are not less for shedding some stripes, and you are certainly not less for wanting to fade them. Rock them, fade them, heck you can even tattoo over them. Whatever it is, do you girl.