What’s a mommy blog without a list of newborn must-haves?
Now, I don’t consider myself a baby product pro, in fact, I am constantly asking other moms for advice and suggestions! But after baby number two, one boy and one girl, I have put together a list of items I think make caring for a newborn baby much easier.
With my first baby I remember being completely overwhelmed with the thousands of items stores like Babies “R” Us and Buy Buy Baby sell. Family members would throw suggestion after suggestion at me without even asking, and with a lack of funds for my unplanned baby boy, this quickly piled on stress.
So this is for all the new mommies looking for just the essentials. Maybe you don’t have the funds to hit every aisle of your nearest baby store, or maybe you’re just a minimalist like myself and hate crowding your home. Either way, I’ve got you covered momma.
- Infant Swing. And I mean a GOOD one. This is probably something I would recommend splurging on if you’re trying to decide where to do so. With my son I had a very small floor swing that was battery operated and only swung in a forward-and-back motion. Everyone would rave about how amazing their baby swing was and how easy it made their life, while mine only collected dust. With my second-born, I was gifted a Fisher Price infant swing that included a wall plug, a light-up baby mobile, and multiple swinging positions. Ava is almost five months now and she still naps in this absolutely amazing newborn item. If only they made these swings in adult sizes!
- Huggies Diapers. That’s right, we’re a Huggies family. Some parents say the cheaper the better since you’ll be buying them for a very long 24 months AT LEAST. Other parents, like me, know that diaper blowouts in the middle of the shopping mall can ruin a really great day. Go for the Huggies and buy in bulk to save a few dollars. The stretchy band across the back will reduce your diaper blowouts by at least a few!
- Boppy Pillow. I’m not a nursing momma, my babies are bottle-fed, but the Boppy Pillow still makes feeding time much easier. It doesn’t take long for your arm to absolutely ache from newborn bottle feedings, and this pillow makes the perfect armrest. Aside from feedings, it’s perfect for laying the baby down next to you on the couch. When you’re post cesarean, getting off the couch to lay the baby down in the swing isn’t as easy as it seems.
- Carter’s Onesies & Blankets. I am a HUGE Carter’s fan. Don’t get me wrong, my babies wear almost anything they’re given, but Carter’s reigns in quality. The onesies are super soft and stretchy, they hold up wonderfully in the washing machine, and they let go of stains pretty easily. The swaddle blankets are amazing, something I learned after trying to swaddle my first-born in those stiff receiving blankets. The stretchy cotton makes it easy to pull a tight swaddle, and, just like the onesies, they are exceptionally durable.
- Dr. Brown’s Bottles. As I mentioned, I haven’t been blessed with the ability to breastfeed, but that’s another discussion for another day. The nipple Dr. Brown’s makes is very narrow and just right for a tiny newborn mouth. The anti-colic system worked well for both of my babies, and as a bonus, they now make them in both pink and blue.
- Vera Bradley Stroll Around Baby Bag. I’m not the most stylish mom, I tend to just roll with it on a daily basis, but I used this diaper bag for both of my babies because it is simply perfect. The material is insanely durable, as it lasted me many years, and it spot cleans very easily. The inside is lined with a vinyl material which is perfect for when the formula and diaper cream spill everywhere (because they will). It includes a matching changing pad, and it features four exterior pockets and five interior pockets. Hello organization!
- Fisher-Price Newborn Rock n’ Play Sleeper. Four months later and my baby girl is still sleeping in this amazing little sling. My first-born slept in a Pack ‘n Play for the first couple of weeks and that was kind of terrible. He woke up all night long and he never even looked comfortable. This sleeper keeps my girl cozy and comfortable all night long.
- Angelcare Baby Bath Support. This item is by far my favorite newborn bath seat I’ve used. Not only is it super comfortable for the baby, but the seat itself has small holes across the entire surface to allow water to wash over the baby’s back even while laying down.
- Frame stroller. Another item I didn’t have with my first-born, and boy was I missing out. Mommas know that newborns can’t go directly into strollers, rather, you connect the car seat to a full size stroller. Cue extra unnecessary pounds to lift, less trunk space, and more time spent unloading and prepping. Frame strollers are super lightweight, making it much easier for a post-delivery body to lift and use. I have the Baby Trend Snap-N-Go Car Seat Carrier. Amazing. With a cup holder, storage basket, and safety straps, it offers everything a full-size stroller has. This frame stroller made quick errands such a breeze and my post-cesarean belly was able to lift it just days after delivery.
- Ergobaby Original Baby Carrier (with insert). I never wore my first-baby, carriers were not only intimidating as a rookie mom but also pricey. Now I never leave the house without my Ergo. As a momma of two, the carrier allows my hands to still handle all the things my adventurous toddler requires. Ergobaby ensures a safe and healthy ergonomic position for the baby, and the super soft material keeps her comfortable and warm. It is so easy to use, I’m able to put it on and take it off without the help of a partner, and the harnesses are comfortable and easy on your back.
So there you have it, my top ten newborn baby items. No two babies are the same, therefore some mommas might prefer other items for various reasons. And of course, there are tons and tons of products I haven’t had the chance to try out either. Take all the suggestions you can, do your research, read the reviews, and find what’s right for you! And for you veteran mommas, we can all agree it’s only normal for your first-born to be your very best trial run!
Heads up! As my Ava girl continues to grow so will my list of infant must-haves, stay tuned for more suggestions.